Skip to main content

How do I look ?

As a five year old.....
- Dressy ? Yes. Because my mom force-dressed me for every occasion with pinks,lace,frills and all that's girly.
- Did I look like a girl after all the effort? No.
- Who influenced me? My brothers. So I was generaly tagging along wherever my cousin brothers went and did. Be it walking in mud, climbing trees, finding tadpoles and earthworms, being dirt itself  I religiously followed. And amma used to tell me I even started looking ( what is the opposite of biologically evolved ?) like one of them

As a 10 year old...
- Enlightened yet? Not really but the first signs of womenhood did surface. I was keen on how I behaved. Yeah the girly giggles and social networks (on a class to class basis) did begin. But still I wasn't the girl you would imagine.
- Looks? Didn't matter still. Wasn't really consious of the way I looked - bugs bunny teeth et all!
- Influences....Friends, mother and my cousins

As a 15 year old...
- What the story? The girl child has arrived :)...and in her teens...So its shopping with Amma, gossiping with friends about boys, TV and movies, wishing for sleep overs that never happened and holidays with cousins.
- Looks in all dimensions mattered for I was short, fat, curly haired ( oh don't forget the frizz) and had my teeth caged..what more of a disaster do you need to destroy a gals teens???? 
- Influences : Movies, Friends, Acha ( only on the professional angle) and Amma

As a 20 year old..
- Was happy with myself  except for the extra kilos and the glasses ( which I barely wore ) and the curly hair and the......oh that's a never ending list ye know!
- Dressing mattered like never before to camoflouge the shortcomings and get that approval from friends...yeah only friends...Even if Amma said "Mole that's a shabby outfit" I would retort " But my friends loved it"
- Influences : Very much the same Friends, Movies, Amma and Acha.....in that order :)..Infact I guess this was the little worls I lived in

Now I leave the Age categorisation and shift to a walk through from where I left you to the present scenario...yeah another of those age related complexities I admit.

 I still had the unkept looks. I wondered how girls walked about 365 days of the year with shampooed ad-silky hair ,smooth hairless skin and a slim stature...sheshhhh! I was the opposite of all this and more.
Not that I didn't try to look cared for... its just that I couldn't get that look. I was never fresh except for the brief 1/2 hr when we had classes at 6.15 am and I had to plait my wet hair tight, dripping with H2O that remained until it naturally evaporated giving birth to frizzy split ends.

Professional upliftment and a job does so much to ones confidence level. It didn't do much to me. Firstly because my profession took me for a ride before I was bestowed with the qualification. So when I did finally acheive it ...it didn't really make a mark on my attitude ...good or bad I still don't know. And I was very much the dress up-only- for a special occasion.

Then I got married and had to satisfy the Indian tradition of 'looking married' for a while...for a very little while ...until all the pre wedding grooming lasted ..It was back to being the 'sloppy'self  again..which included
- Picking up the most reachable outfit out of the messy wardrobe
- To powder or not to powder depended on the secs left out of the 5 minutes allotted for dressing
- one pair of sandals and one bag however drab they are if they are working they work!
- The max time I spend is on choosing earrings....I love earrings in all shapes and sizes :)


Down the line motherhood became a reason for my ways....the weight gain was justified as well...so now you have a rolly polly ungroomed slop who haunted the house by walking around in oversized feeding nighties all day and night. The scene changed a bit after rejoining office but the shift was limited to the dress change from one XL to another....

And I barely had any influences either. The only thing that mattered is the TIME

Life today hasn't changed. ....I want to change but can't. I have orders,advice and requests to get the 'look'. But they all remain jus that
and I remain....jus that.

PS. Too long a blog huh!...jus to remind myself of one of the zillion things I need to work on.....:)

Comments

  1. Aha!!... you made me depressed.. If you write like this.. what should be my lines? sob sob.. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. u know what Buzzy... Ur blogs are brilliant.. u touch every reader with your earnest feelings...

    and on an another side , u r wicked as well ! u well enough camouflage ur sloppiness with ur great writing skill... hahahah ..

    do u know the answer for it ? It is in the book u read - Ladies coupe ...

    There is one ammuma character there who dresses up well till her last day of life ..and therte is a quote

    " U dont dress for others ... u dress for urself ..when you look urself into the mirror , u should feel happy and be proud of urself " thatz the scale..

    As I told u , start living to satisfy " YOU " .I guess it is high time u stop worrying about " others" .. then every damn thing will change ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. - @sranj: Its not about the degree of sloppiness its about what we do about it that counts :)
    - @ssb: Thanks for the compliment :D..and yes like u aptly put it, that sure is a wonderful line but while the ammuma in the book dressed to satisfy herself I can't get to do it....that's why its featured in my to do list :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. ur "TO DO " list is a never ending one .... !!! Dont get me worked up!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Busy-ness Ahead

The coming months are filled with work and pleasure trips. January first week - Will be in Delhi on a work assigment. Heard its pretty cold in Delhi. Any suggestins on how to combat the chill are welcomed from the experienced lot. January second week - This week will begin with Grandparents Day at Achu's school. Achu is singing a song :). Then comes the Mom's event which am looking forward to attend. And will see me doing a lot of shopping personally and with M's family for my BIL is getting married early February. I love shopping and this is going to be fun.Might be some inviting work if its not over when we are in Delhi. January third week - Beautification of our flat, Packing stuff, informing the school that Achu will not be coming for a week, Last minute stitching amidst Pongal celebrations which majorly includes watching TV January fourth week - Sending off MIL, FIL and BIL , getting tensed jus for the heck of it :b, Calling up all my friends and informing I w

The New Year

This is my first new year without my Acha. It doesn't feel very good. When you don't have that somebody who has been with you all your life It doesn't feel good at all I know I have to move ahead Try to get his dreams come true I know this year is going to be tuff but I count on a set of people who I know will be with me Above all Acha is still with me in a more powerful role With his principles embossed in my heart I move forward Cautiously but Courageously..... Ps.Thank God for all the support my mom and I are getting for the past weeks.....The support has given us strength we barely knew we had. 

By Hook or Crook

.....I NEED A COOK I am wondering how to get hold of a cook.... I tried getting one from an agency but they seem to be very expensive and the reviews seem to be bad I tried to get hold of somebody from the neighborhood. No Luck. I tried asking our driver to get hold of someone.He is still searching. What to do???????Let's see if I can get one by the end of this week. I have to. Ps. Dependence roots from the inability to perform or delegate. Ok Ok... or pure laziness. But this is different. Amma is the one who is doing all the cooking and she needs help.